Tuesday, August 22, 2006

From Korean Weddings to Niagra Falls

I know I have said before that I like digital photography. I like the fact that I can take as many pictures as I want without having to buy film or pay for development. The only drawback I have found so far is I tend to be taking a lot of pictures of the same things. When I first got the camera it was spring so I took pictures of the kids riding their bikes; now that summer is here, it’s the kids doing water sports. There are only so many pictures of the same thing that a person needs. Other popular photo subjects have been; boats, sunsets, landscapes, and cottages. I have decided to show a couple of the many pictures I have taken and tell the stories behind them.

This is a picture of Lucas and his new bride Sohyun on their wedding day. For the church service Lucas was in a tuxedo and Sohyun was wearing the standard white wedding dress. For the reception Lucas and Sohyun got changed into more traditional Korean garb. The service was a standard Presbyterian service that was preformed almost entirely in Korean. The only thing that I understood was when Lucas stated his vows in English, but the overall feel of the service felt familiar. It was at the reception that things started to get interesting.

The meal was buffet style and nothing was labeled, and as I don’t get out much I could not recognize anything. I am not afraid to try new foods and I think it is important to keep an open mind but I do have a seafood allergy so this kind of felt like playing a game of Russian Roulette. With a couple of lucky guesses and some good advice from friends I ended up making it through the meal without incident.

Shortly after dinner there were some announcements and karaoke, all of which was in Korean. There’s something about watching a group of about 25 middle-aged Korean women singing Karaoke. Towards the end of the reception they changed their clothes again and preformed another ceremony. I have no idea what it was about, and I haven’t had a chance to ask Lucas about it yet but it was interesting to watch none the less.

This picture of Niagra Falls was taken this spring when Cory’s hockey team went to the Alliance Cup in St. Catherines. Tina wanted to support Cory in his tournament and the girls have never really been on a family vacation to anywhere other than the cottage so we decided to combine them and do both. Cory got a room and hung out with his teammates in St. Catherines while Tina, the girls and I got a hotel room in Niagra Falls.

In between running back and forth to St. Catherines to watch the games we tried to do a few tourist type activities, but no matter what Tina and I wanted to do, all the girls wanted to do was return to the hotel and go swimming. The morning this picture was taken the weather was cold and overcast which made the girls want to get back to the hotel even more. This was just after I got my new camera so I wanted to stay until I got the perfect shot. Did I mention that I have a tendency to take allot of pictures of the same thing? I think I took more than 400 pictures that weekend. Cory’s team ended up getting second place in the tournament.

This is a picture of my niece that I took on Easter weekend. I don’t really have a story to go with this picture I just like the picture so I decided to post it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home